A Must-Make Recipe this Summer!
We are huge fans of reimagining favorite recipes. These Smores inspired cookie bars are a delicious version of the classic summer desserts, but made low carb and sugar free.
While they look time consuming, they couldn’t be easier!
For these Keto Smores Cookie Bars, you’ll need:
- ZenSweet Snickerdoodle Cookie Mix (which uses butter and an egg to pull together!)
- Sugar free chocolate chips or an 85-90% dark chocolate bar
- Sugar Free Marshmallows (we promise – these are so easy to make at home!)
The best way to enjoy these bars is to freeze the cookie base, then top it with the chocolate and marshmallows — once the marshmallow is toasted and the chocolate chips are melted, you can enjoy a gooey treat!
How to Make Keto Smores Cookies
Step 1: In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the ZenSweet Snickerdoodle Cookie Mix, melted butter, and egg, and mix into a cookie dough.
Step 2: Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper, making sure the sides don’t come up beyond the pan. Later the cookies will go under the broiler to toast the marshmallow, and you don’t want it to set on fire. Press the cookie dough into the pan in an even layer. Bake the cookies for 14 minutes.
Step 3: Add the chocolate chips onto the cookie base. If you do this while the cookies are still hot, they will melt onto it. If you’d like to be able to slice the bars immediately, then first freeze the cookie base and then add the chocolate chips. Don’t worry – they will melt when you toast the marshmallow.
Step 4: Add the marshmallows to the top of the chocolate layer.
Step 5: Place the cookie pan back in the oven under the broiler. Watch carefully, as it will only take 1-2 minutes to toast the marshmallows! Remove the pan from the oven and allow the marshmallows to cool.
Step 6: If you added the chocolate and marshmallows to the top of the warm cookie, then the bars will be fragile and not ready to slice yet. If you’d like to be able to slice your bars right away, then freeze the cookie base prior to adding the chocolate and marshmallow layer, then slice them and enjoy them with melty chocolate.
We make these and chill them, and enjoy them cold right out of the refrigerator!
Tips and Variations for Low Carb Smores Cookies
How to Cut these Bars: If you don’t care about cleanly cutting the bars, then go ahead and cut these warm! Our grain free cookie mixes will slice the best when they are fully cooled and chilled, so refrigerate prior to slicing the bars.
How to Store Keto Smores Cookies: Once your cookies are sliced, place the cookies in an air tight container, and refrigerate for up to a week, or freeze for up to 3 months. We recommend freezing these and taking them along with you on camping trips this summer!
Mix up the Chocolate: Choose your favorite chocolate for these bars! Gourmet chocolate makers are producing sugar free bars in milk chocolate, white chocolate, and using lots of flavor additions as well.
Add toppings: Go crazy here with any gourmet smores variations you see and want to try! We love adding a drizzle of nut butter along with the chocolate layer — peanut butter or almond butter smores? Sounds delicious! You can also add freeze dried raspberries along with the chocolate chips, or top these with sliced strawberries! Have fun with your keto smores this summer.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper, making sure the paper doesn't come up over the sides of the pan. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the snickerdoodle cookie mix, butter, and egg. Mix until it comes together in a thick cookie dough.
- Press the cookie dough into the prepared pan in an even layer.
- Bake for 14 minutes until cookies just turn golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and turn the oven to preheat on broil.
- Add the chocolate chips to the tops of the cookies. Add the marshmallows on top of the chocolate layer.
- Place the pan back in the oven under the broiler (on the top rack), and watch as the broiler toasts the marshmallows. This will only take 1-2 minutes.
- Fully chill the bars before slicing. Cut the cookies into 16 squares.
- Store leftover cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Have you tried one of our recipes? We love to see your creations! Be sure to share them with us online, using the hashtag #LifeisSweeterwithoutSugar and tagging us @zensweetlife . Happy Baking!