Baked Donuts – A Fun Fall Treat!
We made these a couple of weeks back, and watching my kids’ reaction to them, I knew it was a recipe that had to be shared!
Donuts are such a fun part of fall holidays, and these are packed with pumpkin spice!
For a little variety, we topped some with a sugar free cinnamon topping, and some with a vanilla buttercream. Choose to use both, or choose your favorite!
You’ll love these donuts because:
- They are gluten free, using high protein almond flour as the base.
- ZenSweet Monk Fruit Sweetener makes it possible to enjoy your favorite sweet treats with no sugar added!
- These donuts are baked – so no messy frying oil.
- Decorate these any way you’d like! We chose a cinnamon “sugar” topping and a vanilla buttercream. You could also sprinkle the tops with mini chocolate chips, toasted almonds or pecans, or simply dust them in powdered ZenSweet.
How to Make Keto Pumpkin Donuts
Step 1: Add all the dry ingredients, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and pumpkin pie spice, to a bowl, and mix to combine.
Step 2: Add the wet ingredients – melted butter, pumpkin puree, vanilla, ZenSweet Monk Fruit Sweetener, and eggs — to a larger bowl, and beat to combine.
Step 3: Add the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients, and fold together to create a thick batter.
Step 4: Heavily grease a donut pan. Be sure to get the top of the pan as well, so when the donuts rise, they don’t stick around the edges of the donut cavities. Use a piping bag or cut a tip off a large plastic storage bag, and fill it with the donut batter. Pipe the batter into the donut pan.
Step 5: Bake the donuts for 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely before using a butter knife to run around the edges of each donut, and then under the donuts to gently pry out of the pan. If they crumble a little as they come out of the pan, don’t worry! The frosting or decorations will make them look great.
Step 6: Choose how you’d like to top your donuts – with a cinnamon and sugar topping or a vanilla buttercream — and dip the top of each donut into the desired mixture.
Cinnamon and Sugar Topped Donuts
For the cinnamon and sugar donuts, melt some butter in a small dish, and then add ZenSweet Monk Fruit Sweetener and some cinnamon to another dish. Dip the tops of the donuts first in the melted butter, and then in the sweet cinnamon mixture.
To make the buttercream, add softened cream cheese to a large bowl or stand mixer, and whip until light and fluffy. Add powdered ZenSweet Monk Fruit Sweetener, and then thin the mixture with 1-3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream. Continue to whip until the frosting consistency you desire is reached. Carefully dip or frost each donut.
Tips for the Perfect Baked Donuts
#1: Do not overbake these! Gluten free and sugar free baked goods will dry out faster than your typical baking ingredients. Be sure to watch these carefully, as your oven may cook them faster.
#2: Experiment with the flavors! Add mini chocolate chips, or try dipping them in crushed pecans after the buttercream topping. The sky is the limit here!
#3 Use ZenSweet Monk Fruit Sweetener for a healthier, sugar free baked donut, that tastes like the real thing! Our Monk Fruit Sweetener measures cup-for-cup like sugar, and doesn’t have an aftertaste. It tastes like sugar! Kids and adults agree it’s the best option for healthier baking.
Keto Pumpkin Donuts
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 pastured eggs
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup ZenSweet Monk Fruit Sweetener
- 1/4 cup pastured butter melted
Cinnamon and "Sugar" Topping
- 2 tablespoons pastured butter melted
- 1/4 cup ZenSweet Monk Fruit Sweetener
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup ZenSweet Monk Fruit Sweetener powdered
- 1-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Heavily grease 2 6-cavity donut pans. Be sure to grease the top of the pan and in the center of each cavity, so the donuts don't stick as they rise out of the tops.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the almond flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt. Mix to combine.
- In a larger mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Then, add the pumpkin puree, melted butter, ZenSweet Monk Fruit Sweetener, and vanilla. Whisk to combine well.
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients, and fold them in until no dry ingredients remain.
- Add the batter to a piping bag, or cut the tip from a large storage bag, and pipe the batter into the prepared donut pans.
- Bake the donuts for 15 minutes. Allow to fully cool before trying to take the donuts out of the pan.
- Use a butter knife to loosen the donuts from the pan, and pry them out gently.
- Decorate as desired. Store donuts refrigerated in an air tight container for up to a week or frozen for up to 3 months.
Cinnamon and Sugar Topping
- In a small bowl or on a plate, mix together ZenSweet and cinnamon.
- Dip each donut into the butter and then into the sweet cinnamon mixture.
- Add the cream cheese to a large bowl, and use a hand mixer or a stand mixer to whip the cream cheese until it's light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered ZenSweet and heavy whipping cream, and continue to process until it's a light and fluffy mixture. Add additional heavy whipping cream until desired texture is reached.
- Dip or spread the topping onto each donut.